Several readers have commented and emailed me directly asking for an update on Lowell Greene and Chris Ann Nelson. Below is what’s been happening since yesterday.
Lowell posted this message Monday evening on Facebook:
Finally home from the hospital. Turns out there are three arteries with blockages: 90%, 80% and 30%. The 90% blocked artery is to that part of the heart that is dead (front side) because of the severe heart attack I had 12 years ago. The 80% blocked artery is on the back of the heart. The 30% blocked artery is on the right side of the heart.
I will have a viability study done (probably) this week.
If it is found that the 90% blocked artery has some heart muscle around the dead part (that’s called heart muscle in hibernation), I can choose to have open heart surgery. The blockage in that artery is in a place that cannot be fixed with a stent and would need to be by passed.
The 80% blocked artery can be fixed with a stent, but if I have the open heart surgery, it could be fixed with a by pass.
Nothing will be done about the 30% blocked artery.
So you can see, I have more to do, and more decisions to make.
Tonight, I got the following email from Faye:
We came home around 6 or 7 last night from Lansing, went to bed shortly thereafter, then at 2:00 this morning Lowell was awakened by chest pains and having a hard time breathing. He had me call 911, and he was taken to Hayes Green Beach Hospital in Charlotte (one of the closer hospitals). The first responders and ambulance people were great and got nitro in him and aspirin, and by the time we got to the hospital his pain was pretty much gone, but his breathing wasn’t good. He was put on oxygen and tests were run. An EKG showed no heart damage, but the doctor in emergency felt that he needed to be at McLaren where we’d been yesterday. So he was transferred after 7 this morning. They scheduled him for a stent tomorrow in the artery that was 80% blocked, but they decided to do it today and they did. Now – no pain, no shortness of breath and he said they didn’t put him out when they did it, and he didn’t even feel it. Because of our horrible weather, Lowell told me not to come up today so I didn’t. We don’t know yet about the 90% blockage, but Lowell does not want open heart surgery. We’re thinking if that artery has been going to the dead part of his heart all these years why open him up to bypass the blockage and go to a good part of the heart. We’ll wait to see what the surgeons say and if indeed it hasn’t been doing anything all these years.
Thank you for keeping us in your prayers.
A dear friend of Chris Ann’s – Mary Saul – called me Monday morning to tell me she had just spoken to Burton. Chris Ann is now mostly unresponsive, and her pain medication has been increased once again. Their Michigan family, who just left on Sunday, may be returning on Wednesday (Feb. 27) for several days.
Please continue to lift up these two families – the Nelsons and the Greenes. I thank you, and they thank you so much for your care and concern. Isn’t it amazing how close we’ve all become. Love and hugs to you all.